I grew up eating for the most party delicious Mexican food, so naturally, once in a while I will cook some of that comfort food to remember the best days ever ( being raised by my lovely mom who I love to death). My mom is the best cook ever, and I would love to one day be as great as a cook as she is, but I know that will take lots of time and practice.
The road to being a good cook has come with lots of trial and errors, so don't get discouraged if it happens to you as well. Until not too long ago, I did not know how to cook my red rice the way my mom does. Mine would come out nasty; it wasn't cooked enough, it was dry and had not mush taste and even the color was very pale. Guess what though? It seems I had a revelation spontaneously just last week on how to perfect my rice and I want to share that with you today.
Pull out a pen and paper or simply print so you can have these instructions nearby until you know the recipe by heart.
- 1 1/2 cup white rice
- 1/4 white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 whole tomato, cut in 4 pieces
- About 2 1/2 tablespoons Knorr Caldo de Tomate con Sabor de Pollo (Knorr Tomato Bouillon with Chicken Flavor)
- Pour about 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil on a pan over medium heat, adjust oil to your preference.
- Add a small slice of onion to the oil and immediately add rice to brown with the onion. Keep stirring so rice doesn't burn. While rice is browning, add onion, garlic and tomato in a blender. Add enough water to cover half of the ingredients; blend. Set aside.
- Once rice is browned, add blender mixture and bouillon to rice. Mix around so red mixture is evenly proportioned to rice and let everything boil for about 5 minutes. By doing this, you will be cooking the tomato and allow to intensify both the flavor and the color of the rice.
- Add about 3 cups of water to mixture, mix and cover. Let it sit for about 15 minutes, constantly checking rice. Add more bouillon if it needs more flavor.
- Remove rice from heat once there is no water on the surface, but about 1/4 water left when you dig or make a small whole inside rice with a spoon. It is crucial to leave water behind after removing from heat because rice continues to cook with it's own heat for a while longer.
- Let sit for another 15 minutes so it cools a little and it absorbs more of the water left behind. Enjoy with your favorite meal.
That is all there is to cooking the perfect rice! Now you can enjoy it with your homemade mole or anything else you wish to pair this side with. If you need additional instructions, feel free to ask. Help is open to this and any other recipe I have posted.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.